The current church, built in the Renaissance style, was begun in 1622 and finished in 1691 with the completion of the façade. The floor is laid out as a Latin cross with one central nave, and 3 chapels on each side, a barrel vault and a dome at the centre of the cross. The arches and cornices are made of local stone. The high altar is the work of the Maestro Jaume Blanquer with the statue of the Virgin in her central niche which can be rotated. At the start of the 20th century the whole church was decorated in the same Baroque style as the chancel, following the design of the Catalan architect Antoni Gaudí. From this time the interior has appeared to be covered in gold. Once work was completed a dedication service was celebrated by Bishop Pere-Joan Campins on 17th July, 1914. There is a statue to this Bishop, one of the great patrons of the monastery, which was erected in 1920 in front of the main door of the church. Following the Vatican II Council the first chapels on the left were dedicated to the Sacraments (the Baptistery with its gallery of Mallorcan saints, the Chapel of Reconciliation and the Chapel of the Holy of Holies where the Mass is celebrated if the congregation is not large).
Lluc has also received many honours. In 1707 it was given the title of Royal Chapel, by King Charles III of Austria, and in 1962 Pope John XXIII declared it a minor basilica.
The chapel of the Mother of God is accessed via a doorway where the transept crosses the nave. The image of the Moreneta, which is made of painted local sandstone and dates from the 13th – 14th century, was crowned by Bishop Mateu Jaume in the name of Pope Leon XIII on 10th August 1884. The chapel was renovated by the architect J Ferragut in 1962. Two paintings by the artist Salvador Torres recall the legend of the discovery of the statue, and the shields of all 53 towns of Mallorca pay homage to the Patron of the island. The Ave Maria in 7 languages underlines the ecumenical spirit, and many pilgrims write their resolutions in the Book of Prayers.